So Gibby will be 4 months in just 5 short days. That means he is 1 month closer to 5 months and 2 months closer to 6! Really?! 6 months!! I can't believe it. The feeling of him being in my belly and the day of him being born is still so fresh in my memory. I mean, I literally still worship in church with my hands on my belly because that is what I did for 9 long months! I just cant help but think by the end of this year he will be walking and talking. It brings tears to my eyes. Every day, he is a day older and I realize he is not my "newborn baby" anymore. So many new adventures are about to be encountered and I can not help but be excited while still mourning what I am losing (my baby). Hes becoming a Big Boy....
So technically at 4 months you can start solid foods, however my plan is to wait until 6. I will continue to watch Gibby and see if I feel he needs more food then breast-milk. However, babies can live off breast-milk alone for 6 months and longer. In addition you run the risk of food allergies if starting solids to early. The only reason most mothers start solids younger is because between 4-6 months the baby does a lot of growing which leads to a lot more eating. Breastfeeding is very demanding and just a few extra feedings really take a toll on mom. (there are some days where I feel my boobs are going to fall off if I feed Gibby any more) Yes, some days rice cereal looks very tempting, but I want to breastfeed as long as possible because when I start to introduce foods, I plan on slowly weaning from the breast. (but i want at least one breastfeeding session for a full year, he is still going to need milk and Id rather him have breast-milk then formula) I Love Breastfeeding. I love the way Gibby and I can have time together, the way he is just relaxed and in "a heaven" when he is feeding. Its precious when he is nursing and we are making eye contact and he talks to me, or smiles up at me with a milky smile. I feel so blessed I have been able to breastfeed with no problems at all, no clogged milk ducts, no supply issues, no latching issues... It really has been a blessing.
With that being said I am so excited to start solids though! I decided I am going to make my own baby food because I feel like there are so many options when making your own food. You can turn any food into baby food when making your own, including watermelon, avocados and even the same dinner you are going to eat that night! Besides the health benefits, making baby food just seems fun!! I have been looking up recipes and cookware I might need. I would love this:
Its the Beaba Babycook's Babyfood Maker. It Steams, Purees and Reheats all in the same machine. (Yay for only one thing to wash!) It looks amazing. It is pricey though therefore, I will probably just use my blender. It is great blender and all I would need is a steam basket. But a girl can dream of a Beaba!! =)
Brandon thinks I am a little crazy for deciding this, he says it is going to take a lot of commitment. And it will. But so did breastfeeding and we are going strong with that! Also the great thing about baby-food making is you make it in bulk, and then stick it in ice cube trays, let it freeze and then pop them out into freezer bag. That way when your baby is ready to eat you just defrost a ice cube of food =) Babies only eat about a tablespoon food in the beginning so you will have more then enough in bulk! I am really exited for this!!
So like I said, I am having a love/hate relationship with the thought of my baby growing up =).

No comments:
Post a Comment