Friday, December 3, 2010

Shots & Reflux

The dreaded 8 Week doctor appointment was yesterday. Little Bug had to get 5 vaccines, I cried with the thought of the doctors poking him. He is only 8 weeks old, he should not know pain and furthermore, be crying because he is in it. I loathed the ticking clock as I waited for 1:30pm to show it's face. It did and tears welled in my eyes as we pulled into the parking garage of the doctor office. My baby was sleeping peacefully not aware at what was about to happen.

They weighed him, 11 pounds 2.4 ounces. Measured him, 23 inches long. He's grown perfectly, after all he is more then perfect. Then the we waited some more. Finally the nurse came in with 3 shots. I gave Brandon the job of holding down Gibby's arms and I sat in the corner telling myself, "This is to keep him healthy, its okay." The first shot went in his tiny little leg and he cried, and I got teary eyed yet again. Then the second shot. He stopped I think he thought it was over. Then lastly, the third shot. He screamed and I am sure he thought it was never going to end. I quickly scooped him up and cuddled him. He cried off and on for about 5 minutes before finally calming down. He quickly fell asleep and it was over. I made it through the dreaded 2 month shots.

Gibby also finally got diagnosed with Reflux.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which the stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach). This action can irritate the esophagus, causing heartburn and other symptoms.
I am so happy we finally got this diagnosed. I could see it gradually getting worse, Bug would spend nights in pain, crying, not wanting to eat because it physically hurt. She prescribed Zantac because I have tried all I could at home already. Its very safe and hopefully very effective! He does not really like the peppermint taste but it sure helped him sleep better last night!
Trying to a Big Boy and Take his Medicine

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that Gibby is sleeping better. His little face is adorable, even the puckered lips and furrowed eyebrows. He's such a sweetie! We can't wait to see you all again in February.

    ReplyDelete